birmingham blocks

All Current Pirate Related Chat In Here
mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

birmingham blocks

Post by mix fm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 am

i noticed over the past few weeks in birmingham non of the blocks that the pirates use :pirate seen several blocks that a couple of stations use. nothing on them, no dipole or mini discone or end fed, the council have locked down the blocks in certain estates, i know when we done our homework to obtain the special keys for the roofs. ie. assa, it was getting harder to get them or get them cut; saying that its back to putting the rigs on top of shops or 3 story blocks lol; i have seen on my travels some strange aerials on a few shops latley;

Mr_Bandit
Forum User
Forum User

Re: birmingham blocks

Post by Mr_Bandit » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:07 am

The council in leicester has locked down the tower blocks here too.

Pirates can use mobile masts with their own power. Car battery with solar panels.

I would assume you can't gain access to the shop roof easy. Theres still some tower blocks in birmingham are still accessible. Hot92, stingdem still manage to find a way to be onair still just outside the centre of birmingham tower blocks are used look for dipoles up high on the mobile mast of the tower block highest point.

I thought you didnt need keys cut i thought skeleton keys can open any lock? If pirates can go in tower block with keys does that mean they can gain entry to places like peoples houses too?

sunrise
Forum User
Forum User

Post by sunrise » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:59 pm

The skeleton keys you speak of are fire brigade issued keys, good for opening any council lock.
The locks fitted to people's houses are different and the keys are not interchangeable.
Having said that no lock is ultimately secure.
Since my days on air I've taught myself to pick certain locks, which has come in handy more than once.
The Ted Bundy of Radio Forums.
sunrise wrote: I have the same points of view that I had 10 years ago, and everyone is still entitled to them.

Mike
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:51 pm

mix fm wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 am
i noticed over the past few weeks in birmingham non of the blocks that the pirates use :pirate seen several blocks that a couple of stations use. nothing on them, no dipole or mini discone or end fed, the council have locked down the blocks in certain estates, i know when we done our homework to obtain the special keys for the roofs. ie. assa, it was getting harder to get them or get them cut; saying that its back to putting the rigs on top of shops or 3 story blocks lol; i have seen on my travels some strange aerials on a few shops latley;
There is one in Aston being pulled down at the moment which seems to have been empty for a long time. I go past there every day on the train and I am pretty sure it was used by one of the pirates while it was empty as I saw an aerial appear on there at one point a year or two ago, so they must've left the mains supply on. There is also another empty large block in Bromford which got turned into a massive weed farm on the top couple of floors!

Most of the blocks in Birmingham with dipoles on I think are old disused ones that have been left up there. There's another bromford block with one on, also one in Stechford and I think I've seen others.

Mr_Bandit
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Mr_Bandit » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:17 pm

Stechford tower block you say theres a dipole on it maybe sting or hot92 aerial?

mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by mix fm » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:34 am

the stetchford block you are on about, was ours from over 5 years ago, a dipole, the block was not that good for us & easy to gain entry, went past 2 weeks ago still on a strong pole, hot 92 - sting aint over where they usally are, been all over birmingham over the last 3 weeks, we used various blocks & various aereas to throw the signal out,,, the best blocks for me was harlech tower lyndurst erdington, 150 watt on top of the phone mast it used to boom all over the place, glendale towet lyndurst, offcom loved us here lol; auster house castle vale, bovingdon tower castle vale, the first block we got access to; chillinghome tower bromford, rig thievs paradise, the list is endless. the last block we used untill offcom waited on the roof after pulling the power from the plug, a legend block in ward end; were it ended on friday afternoon; :hitwall

Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Masts were the way forward when we were still in radio.
It doesn't need to be a mobile mast, when harnessed up a mast is a mast.
Some masts have landings between each section and power can be tapped from the landings. Obviously this isn't true of every mast so homework needs to be done first.
There's available power at every mast site obviously, you just need to be clever with how you feed the power from an out building secretly and up the mast. You'll need to calculate the power loss too if you're running a large run of cable, and it's no good scrimping on the cable costs, cheap cable and you'll lose power at the rig.

A plastic box from Home Bargains, turn it upside down and drill 4 holes of 6mm. Roughly 2 @ 100mm apart and the same again 200mm away using the centre of the box as the datum.
Drill holes in the lid of the rig to match the holes in the box. Cable tie the rig inside the upside down box.
The bars on the mast will be approx 75mm diameter, so at each end of the box drill two holes approx 75mm apart on the boxes centre line. Use cable ties to hold the box on a horizontal bar at the top of the mast.
All power and coax run into the rig from under the upside down box to minimise water ingress. The coax will only be a short run then, only as long as the pole you sit the aerial on plus the length to run under the box into the rig.
When the box is in place, waterproof the holes with a tube of whatever. Stuff goes pop if you forget this bit.

Masts are a little bit too easy to get to for thieves and ofcom now.
Ofcom even switched our rig off as they had to wait for a mast engineer to come take it down, so we obliged for them and put it up another mast.
I thought we were very considerate.

Mr_Bandit
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Mr_Bandit » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 pm

So you still putting aerials up for distinctfm then Andy mobile masts up tower blocks??

Ofcom still taking rigs?

Mike
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 am

It's clearly all written in the past tense!

Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:02 am

Mr_Bandit wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 pm
So you still putting aerials up for distinctfm then Andy
I've never had any association with Distinct.