First Radio Memory

All your radio discussions in here. Feel free to talk about anything you like.
keith rogers
Forum User
Forum User

First Radio Memory

Post by keith rogers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Whats your very first radio memory ?
It could be a particular record that you associate with a station at that time,or just something that you remember.from that period ?
Was it Radio 1 or Luxembourg,Enterprise or Powerhouse ?
Emporer Rosko,Kenny Everett,Trickey Mickey, or Mr X ?
The list could be endless............ :happy144

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Re: First Radio Memory

Post by Gary Edwards » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:07 pm

Probabley Simon Bates doing the Top 40 on Radio 1 in the late 70s or it could be from the days when Radio 1 used to broadcast some shows off Radio 2, before Radio 1 became a stand alone station.

I remember Ray Moore saying he would be continueing on Radio 2 after the 7 o'clock pips, but on Radio 1 it would be DLT with the breakfast show.

stevedunn
Forum User
Forum User

Post by stevedunn » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Listening to Junior Choice with Ed Stewart on a Saturday morning

keith rogers
Forum User
Forum User

Post by keith rogers » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 pm

It was 1963 when I was very small-Saturday Club with Brian Mathew,Remember the Beatles All my Loving song,Nothing else though !
My God Im ancient :laugh

keith rogers
Forum User
Forum User

Post by keith rogers » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:39 am

:pirate I should have said previously that the prog was saturday club presented by brian mathew on something called the light programme ........................................ :!:
After that it would have been Caroline north when on hol in southport 1966,then junior choice.

Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Steve Marshall » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:37 am

Going to my grandparents and hearing The Archers on Radio 4 LW as my grandmother always used to have it on :ashamed

Well i can just remember the theme tune to it anyway

Danny
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Danny » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:03 pm

well my first radio memorys were ones of my dad playing world service,
and i wasnt to impressed with it being about 8 years old,
but I started to take interest in the charts,
I think it was tommy vance the rock dj, I thought he was excellent, then as i got older moved on to, dare I say it beacon radios midnight line,
and at that time i didnt know pirate radio exsisted until tuning about and hearing stations like pcrl and powerhouse in about 1987.

I probably missed out on loads of good stuff, but their ya go. :skull

dave brum
Forum User
Forum User

Post by dave brum » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm

My first radio memory was more of a radiogram memory - our old SOBELL two waveband valve model with the four speed record deck - and the wonky pair of legs. But the fact that the dial used to light up used to fascinate me. My Roberts DAB radio lights up but somehow it's not the same.... The routine was after Sunday morning housework the Sobell would always be put back in its place, switched on and tuned to 1500m long wave in time for Family Favourites on a Sunday afternoon.

Then there was the very slick sounding Tom Browne who I'd listen to every week doing the Top 20 between 6 and 7. Too young to remember Pick of the Pops!!!

But maybe what sticks in my mind as my earliest radio memory is the constant repitition of the words TWO....FOUR....SEVEN on Radio 1 throughout the day from Blackburn, Walker, Edmonds et al.. This was pre Beacon days and we hadn't discovered BRMB then.