Pirates from Stoke

General Chat
matt_tee
Forum User
Forum User

Pirates from Stoke

Post by matt_tee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Something I am interested in, and it's worth a shot, is obtaining info/recordings of any pirates from Stoke-on-Trent. I'm particularly interested in any from before I started listening (which was in the late 80s - so anytime from the mid 80s and back) as I'd like to hear what earlier stations sounded like. I got a recording from the other board of an early 80s station (thanks to Johnny Shush - which I can upload here if anyone is interested?), but would love to hear any other recordings or anyone who has any info about stations that used to broadcast.

Basically, anything about Stoke pirates from anytime I'd be interested in :)

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Pirates from Stoke

Post by Gary Edwards » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:48 pm

We would certainly be interested in any Stoke based stations for inclusion on the archive including the tape you have.

Did you have any luck with those Farpoint flyers you thought you might have had?

matt_tee
Forum User
Forum User

Post by matt_tee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Yep, I've got them - I've just got to get use of the scanner at work so I can scan them in. I'll try and get it done this week and send them to you.

I'll send the mp3 I have of the Stoke station. I've got loads of Stoke stuff on tape but I don't have a tape player at the moment with the appropriate line out so that I can rip them.

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 pm

Nice one!

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Not quite Stoke, but 3 stations from Staffordshire have been added to the misc page today.

Namely, Radio WX, Soul City & ABC FM.

There is also some Power, Metro, Quest and Shropshire Sound.

http://www.thepiratearchive.net/misc.html

matt_tee
Forum User
Forum User

Post by matt_tee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

I know this is a fairly big "bump", but I just wanted to say thanks for the new Lazer 98 recordings from Stoke. I've only just found the new one (I keep forgetting to check the Misc page) so thanks for those, and the uploaders of course.

Lazer was one of the pirates that got me interested in this whole thing, not the first (that was Powerhouse) but the first big one from Stoke. I *think* I remember hearing something by the same people called Radio Veronica before Lazer - late 88 possibly - but Lazer was massive with us when we were young uns, great to hear it again.

If anyone else has any recordings of Stoke pirates, as I said in the first post from many years ago, I for one would be very grateful :D

matt_tee
Forum User
Forum User

Post by matt_tee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Oh, I'm hesitatant to say this as I will have to go and dig it out again which could take a while - like the Farpoint poster (it will be in the loft at my parent's house probably) but at the time remember I recorded an interview with the people from Lazer on BBC Radio Stoke - a big thing about pirate radio and how you may not know there is a pirate operating around this area. Amazing to hear a positive spin on pirates for once (from Lazer, not the BBC). I will try and find it this week if I can and post up.

It was from 89 I think, and my memory has gone a lot since then but I think they went off air (raided?) very shortly after the interview.