UK RADIO - 30 YEARS ON 1978 - 2008

General Chat
Mickey Whitt

UK RADIO - 30 YEARS ON 1978 - 2008

Post by Mickey Whitt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:13 pm

This Thursday 24th January will mark the 30th aniversary of the first broadcast from UK RADIO.
I'm quite sure PJ the DJ would have reminded you all himself if he was still here.
I really hope you will all join me at 7pm on Thursday night,the exact time the station launched, maybe even dig out your old ALTHIA AND DONNA single and raise a glass or even mug of tea to a wonderful station, and the man behind it all without who i'm sure we would have all missed out on some great radio.

FROM THE UK RADIO STORY

On the night the station began broadcasting it was a very exiting feeling as we felt that we were starting something very unique and original, those early days were great fun and I still have them among my fondest memories. So at 7pm on the 24th January we opened the station with the first record being played, Uptown Top Ranking by Althia and Donna and then Native New Yorker by Odyssey. The first announcement made was, "welcome to UK Radio 225 on 225 metres on the medium wave band my names Paul Johnson and its great to be here with some great music".
Last edited by Mickey Whitt on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Re: UK RADIO - 30 YEARS ON 1978 - 2008

Post by Gary Edwards » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:33 am

Hi Mickey,

Welcome to the forum.

You are,of course, quite right.

Without UK, many people and stations would never have got on the air.
If anyone is unfamilier with the long UK story it is all available here:

http://www.thepiratearchive.net/uk_story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

midlandsfirst
Forum User
Forum User

Post by midlandsfirst » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:44 pm

Id like to second that! A truly great station which gave me no end of pleasure on Sundays!

Steve

MikeT

Post by MikeT » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Aah, in those days it has to be the AM broadcasts using the window frame as an aerial doesn't it? If I recall the story correctly, UK used to broadcast to Arnhem Rd and surrounding gardens at the start. Sadly I wasn't around back in those early days.

My first memory was listening to UK on 103 (ish) FM, back in the days of the milliwatt transmitter running on 4 x 9v batteries wired in series. I can't remember the date, but I was listening in the Ashmore Park area with Andy Scott and another guy. I have two memories of those shows:

1) The transmitter drift (hence 103-ish), whenever anyone went near the transmitter - so the tape changes were interesting!
2) The infamous "Young Guns" jingle, which Dave Jarvis ripped off as "it'll never be a 'it" (or hit!). Sadly, he was very wrong, and we all suffered George Michael & Wham for a few years.

Good memories of Sedgeley Beacon, Willenhall Woods and the infamous "Willenhall Wanker" incident. Those were the days.

Roy was certainly a character, with a very distinctive voice - he was one of free radio's nice guys. I even remember driving back home to the north of England one day, and I was on the M42 (I think), so I tuned the radio to BBC WM's AM service, and sure enough, there he was in a brief moment of legality!

As I don't live in the area anymore, it took time for the sad news of his death to reach me. I found out almost exactly one year afterwards.

Mike

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:02 pm

We have updated the UK page today, with some more audio, photo's and cuttings.

http://www.thepiratearchive.net/uk_radio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

essexpir8
Banned User

Post by essexpir8 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:04 am

think my first pirate i remember listning to are a choice of 3, style fm 101.6, upfront 99.3 and pure magic 90.2 all london stations back in about 1997 i think i got into it then in 2005 i end up getting involved with it myself and to pirate radio in london. pirate radio is like a drug init. the buzz you get from broadcasting to people is the best!

matt_tee
Forum User
Forum User

Post by matt_tee » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Sorry to bump this but I just thought I'd say that I have been listening to the UK radio clips on this site and really enjoying them. I very rarely picked them up when they were on up here, apart from occasionally when I was having a tune around on shortwave, so I missed what seemed like a really great station. Exactly the sort of thing I used to love about pirate radio.

I can remember hearing every so often (again, during my periodic tuning about on shortwave) the Bogusman on shortwave fairly recently - anyone know if this is the Bogus Jobseeker from UK? Loved his stuff I've heard on here, and good to hear some alternative stuff being played on the air as well.

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:29 pm

Yes, The Bogus Man used to be The Bogus Jobseeker and before that he was Mike Wilson.

Always something different and entertaining with him. Always a good listen.

Mickey Whitt

Post by Mickey Whitt » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:05 am

If Jingles are your thing, here's a couple of classics every UK Radio fan will remember.

From Studio Masters
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Edwards
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gary Edwards » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:28 pm

matt_tee wrote: I can remember hearing every so often (again, during my periodic tuning about on shortwave) the Bogusman on shortwave fairly recently - anyone know if this is the Bogus Jobseeker from UK? Loved his stuff I've heard on here, and good to hear some alternative stuff being played on the air as well.
The Bogus Man was on again last Sunday night on 3932 khz.