January Doldrums-anyone left on?

All Current Pirate Related Chat In Here
midlandsradio
Forum User
Forum User

Re: January Doldrums-anyone left on?

Post by midlandsradio »

Same here as it was in the week. Not hearing anything on 92.3 or 92.4 this weekend so don't know if Dance Asia is still on or not?
MJ

danceasiafm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by danceasiafm »

midlandsradio wrote:Same here as it was in the week. Not hearing anything on 92.3 or 92.4 this weekend so don't know if Dance Asia is still on or not?
were still on got some one messing us about at the moment sticking on a something now and again a fuzz it seems like. someones dearly upset with us lol :confused

soon 200watt rig shud be back in action only on with a 100 yet not got height on sidealso so not covering much shud get a block sorted over the week.

Danny B
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Danny B »

Least you have some stations we have nothing in Kent.

I have to listen online to brummy and london stations, I think the pirate scene is dying really. It is a shame.

midlandsradio
Forum User
Forum User

Post by midlandsradio »

I think it's dying in some areas of the country, well OK then all areas with the exception of London really, I've noticed though that it seems to be the older generation listening to the pirates down there as well... Probably explains why so many of them are playing so much Old Skool as well.

I was asking my daughter if she knew of any of the local pirate stations today as a result of this thread being here and the only one she could name was Kriss, even though she never actually listens to it. The only music she ever listens to is on her MP3 player now, she or none of her mates ever listen to the radio - because it's all crap (her words not mine). Think that sort of sums the problem up for the pirate scene now.

As I said earlier, the only pirates I really listen to now are the London pirates on my phone. I'm also liking Fresh Radio UK at the moment as it's got that pirate feel to it. Perhaps internet based stations are going to be the future for 'pirate' radio in the UK now?

Three/Giffgaff & now T-Mobile (just announced today) are all offering totally unlimited data now so perhaps this might be the time for internet stations at last?
MJ

sunrise
Forum User
Forum User

Post by sunrise »

Danny B wrote:Least you have some stations we have nothing in Kent.
You must live in a different Kent to the one I know then. There are several stations in and reaching Kent.
midlandsradio wrote:The only music she ever listens to is on her MP3 player now, she or none of her mates ever listen to the radio - because it's all crap (her words not mine).
Kids certainly aren't what they used to be.
The Ted Bundy of Radio Forums.
sunrise wrote: I have the same points of view that I had 15 years ago, and everyone is still entitled to them.

Danny B
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Danny B »

sunrise wrote:
Danny B wrote:Least you have some stations we have nothing in Kent.
You must live in a different Kent to the one I know then. There are several stations in and reaching Kent.

I cant even pick up Rise Nation where I am in Kent and that is supposed to be a station for Kent! as well as Essex its not my radio because I used to be able to pick up pirate from Essex and a station that used to operate a few miles from where I live along the seafront.

London is deffo where its at for proper pirate radio, anywhere else in the UK have seem to settle for internet streaming. I listened to pirate radio all through my teens. I echo the words of the other poster who said that kids dont listen to the radio no more because its all crap, well they are right! sadly. Commercial stations are everywhere and I guess a little pirate that switches on now and then wont be noticed. Everyones internet savvy nowadays and its just easier to go to a stations website and listen in from anywhere in the world.

I do miss opening up a TDK 90 and taping a set properly off the radio. Them days seem long gone. :cry:

sunrise
Forum User
Forum User

Post by sunrise »

Danny B wrote:
sunrise wrote:
Danny B wrote:I cant even pick up Rise Nation where I am in Kent and that is supposed to be a station for Kent!
RISE means Renegade Is Still Essex #1. Mainly just for Essex thesedays.

Where in Kent are you again? Margate?
sunrise wrote: I have the same points of view that I had 15 years ago, and everyone is still entitled to them.

Sparkgap
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Sparkgap »

midlandsradio wrote:I think it's dying in some areas of the country, well OK then all areas with the exception of London really, I've noticed though that it seems to be the older generation listening to the pirates down there as well... Probably explains why so many of them are playing so much Old Skool as well.

I was asking my daughter if she knew of any of the local pirate stations today as a result of this thread being here and the only one she could name was Kriss, even though she never actually listens to it. The only music she ever listens to is on her MP3 player now, she or none of her mates ever listen to the radio - because it's all crap (her words not mine). Think that sort of sums the problem up for the pirate scene now.

As I said earlier, the only pirates I really listen to now are the London pirates on my phone. I'm also liking Fresh Radio UK at the moment as it's got that pirate feel to it. Perhaps internet based stations are going to be the future for 'pirate' radio in the UK now?

Three/Giffgaff & now T-Mobile (just announced today) are all offering totally unlimited data now so perhaps this might be the time for internet stations at last?
Pick a format, there are millions of stations on the net to choose from and most of the time you don't have to worry about crap djs prattling all the time. No wonder less people listening to radio. Also have my MP3, 8000 tracks so don't need to hear what the beeb or commercial stations throw out and no adverts. Only times i scan around the fm band is driving through brum or Bristol to see what's on, but regular radio? Forget it.

Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Steve Marshall »

midlandsradio wrote:I was asking my daughter if she knew of any of the local pirate stations today as a result of this thread being here and the only one she could name was Kriss, even though she never actually listens to it. The only music she ever listens to is on her MP3 player now, she or none of her mates ever listen to the radio - because it's all crap (her words not mine). Think that sort of sums the problem up for the pirate scene now.
Not the pirate scene matey, that sums up the up and coming problem for all radio stations. Because of all the shite thats being pumped out by your Crapital's and Heart's the younger generation are not listening or using radio in the way our generation did.

Why do they want or need to listen to it? They don't simple.

They have access to the media they want via their phones these days or mp3 players in this connected world, and they will consume that media in a way they want to and not in a way that it was consumed 10 - 20 years ago.

sunrise
Forum User
Forum User

Post by sunrise »

Steve Marshall wrote:all the shite thats being pumped out by your Crapital's and Heart's the younger generation are not listening or using radio in the way our generation did.
I worry about the people that consume this crap. The dumbed-down soul-less samey-sounding rubbish that people listen to and actually claim to enjoy on stations like Crapital says a lot about the state of our 13-26 year old's as a whole. And the fact they will stand for hearing the same 12 songs on rotation all day astounds me. How simple do Global actually believe their audience to be?

A kid passed me today and I noticed something. Instead of having a walkman or earphones, like we would have in the 80's, he had music coming out of himself. I presume from a phone or some other device in his pocket.
It would seem that listening to shit music is not enough, now they have to announce what they are listening to by forcing other people to listen to it as well.