All Current Pirate Related Chat In Here
livendirect
Forum User
Forum User

Re: 150 watt rig

Post by livendirect »

Andy Hicks wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:54 am
A 50 from that height will only lack in a gaps. A 150 will fill those gaps and probably a few miles extra on the periphery. The aerial would help with the 50. A wise choice helps with those gaps but the periphery stays the same.
Your sure right old vhf will only go so far no matter how high you are or how many watts your running i have a feeling 2020 may be a interesting year for radio seems ofcom seem to be laying back a little saying that might all change April when they get funding again :pirate

Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave »

Andy Hicks wrote:
A 50 from that height will only lack in a gaps. A 150 will fill those gaps and probably a few miles extra on the periphery. The aerial would help with the 50. A wise choice helps with those gaps but the periphery stays the same.
Hi-gain from Manor Heights was helpful - Wrekin, not so much. Resulted in a better signal in Birkenhead and Birmingham, but went straight over the top of Telford and Shrewsbury (where the ad money was coming from).

livendirect
Forum User
Forum User

Post by livendirect »

Did they ever try a slim jim because of the low angle of radiation thats the trouble when so high up isnt it 5/8 pushes the signal out more but local coverage isnt so good as its flying over them

Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave »

livendirect wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:29 pm
Did they ever try a slim jim because of the low angle of radiation thats the trouble when so high up isnt it 5/8 pushes the signal out more but local coverage isnt so good as its flying over them
No. Was either NRG 5/8ths or basic dipoles.

mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by mix fm »

end fed are good. pricey thou, or slim jim not bad, dipoles are cheap as chips stick out like sore thump, we had a silver rod once converted to our freq, worked well. untill off cock claimed it, lol the good old days..

Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks »

Dave wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Andy Hicks wrote:
Hi-gain from Manor Heights was helpful - Wrekin, not so much. Resulted in a better signal in Birkenhead and Birmingham, but went straight over the top of Telford and Shrewsbury (where the ad money was coming from).
Grooves 5/8 which was ridiculously tall did 100 or 120 from Queens Cross and nearly missed Lower Gornal but easily did Stafford. Radiating differently it did OK on the long distance stuff as that block was the lowest point of town. Even on the tall blocks, just using a dipole we changed the aluminium elements to copper and the signal in Burntwood changed drastically, and the dipole itself went straight back onto the same bracket so it was within inches of its original location.
I used to love the way different aerials radiated differently and generally we knew which aerial would work best for certain locations. Eve Hill never really needed anything other than a dipole but an end fed 3/8 did something sexy by filling in gaps further away but slightly neglecting the local area, even so it was still a strong signal but the dipole always won within a mile or two.

Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks »

But then Dream put 150 into a dipole and it did well off the Kates Hill mast. But I decided to pump the 150 up the arse of a 3/8 and it literally blew the dipole away both locally and further away.

Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks »

And talking of crazy radiation, when we moved the rigs to the water tower up Claverley we could see Dudley, yet regardless of what aerial we used up there we couldn't hit Dudley with a strong signal and couldn't link properly into Claverley with band 1.
That messed with my head as I could look at Dudley and using the same design rig that was up Kates Hill with the same power I couldn't hit it properly. But Banni drove to Bristol and heard us there. I was doing Play Nightclub in Hereford and we were booming there too, but no Dudley which was maybe 5 or 6 miles away?

mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by mix fm »

i used to buy my diploles in 10s from a well known birmingham aerial shop, still there, & if i asked nice he cut them for me, ready to go just had to get low loss coax & some poles & boom arms made bigger, our tech guy knew a thing or 2 about aerials & swr, one day might do a week special 1 off. who knows....

mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by mix fm »