Re: birmingham blocks

Post by mix fm » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

now now guys....lol;;

mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by mix fm » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 pm

seen a couple of aerials in the past weeks in the black country just outside walsall also wolves. so still defo pirate activity in the aerea. distinct still on skyline citybeats also kriss; not alot on in brum thou;;;;; pirate is dying on fm. tunein or radioplug is the way i think,

Mr_Bandit
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Mr_Bandit » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:56 pm

I can get sting in parts of leicester and hot92 and kriss so stations from brum are on still.

mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by mix fm » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:21 pm

got 92 rds stereo.sting 94.4rds stereo. kriss 951 also distinct 997 on now north birmingham....

Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Steve Marshall » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 am

Very rare i ever listen to anything on FM these days. The current crop of pirates aren't for me, so i have very little interest in them. Not that i'm knocking them for still being on air, no fair play to them and i'm sure they do what they do very well, but that isn't aimed at me.

I can only imagine that access to tower block roofs will only get harder as the councils secure them properly. Stations will obviously have to look elsewhere if they want to stay on air, such as masts etc.

As Mix says, yeah FM is slowly dying now, with more folks listening via DAB in their car's now, it will only continue to become less and less important as a platform. DAB & internet is going to be the way forward, with internet mainly and with 5G and big data allowances you can see that happening. FM still has some years left in it yet, but it will go the was MW has.

Mike
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am

The quality of DAB is so piss poor in comparison to FM though, with some stations at 56kbps or other ridiculously low bitrates. I can't believe we have invested so much in this country into something that runs on MP2 technology, that's somehow supposed to be the future of radio! I know that FM is declining but at the moment, I think I'd still take FM over DAB if the option's there, because even the BBC national stations sound better on FM than their DAB equivalents. FM will take longer to die than MW because the audio bandwidth is so much higher and the signal more consistent throughout the day.

Steve Marshall
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Steve Marshall » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 am

Agreed a lot of DAB stations sound abysmal and for that very reason i won't listen to them. I found the BBC stations sound better on DAB than FM though, far less compression and sound clearer in my work van. Other than that as i have plenty of data on my phone i'll listen online as long as they have a good quality stream. With Dance Radio UK, we have two streams for each stations, a 48k AAC+ which is very good for mobiles when you aren't in urban areas with good 4G coverage, but doesn't sound as good as the 128k MP3 streams. I will always listen to those as a preference.

Agreed FM will take a long while to die, but MW is still alive today and look how long that has taken to die, so in another 20 years or so FM will be very different. DAB+ is based on AAC+ too, but as is always the way in this country, we try and cram as much as possible into the free space, and as such bitrates fall :(

rowl3y
Forum User
Forum User

Post by rowl3y » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:56 am

Yep some of our dipoles are still up and not being taken down,

Stechford & Erdington,

Stechford block was used for about 2 weeks then we removed it as the signal was too poor & went back to the wardend block, Them about 4 weeks later, I got set up by ofcom & the police, By turning rig off and waiting all day for me to arrive to turn it back on,

They told me they was tracking us and was gotta raid us on the stechford back before we removed it,

Erdington was the backup block, setup and ready to go for a weekend for a day or 2 days use while we set up a new block again,

After I got raided & house got turned over I lost interest in running the station, Good times

Gtturbo
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Gtturbo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Oh no. When was this

mix fm
Forum User
Forum User

Post by mix fm » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:33 am

5 years ago,,