New Pirate Radio book - 'Loud, Proud and Illegal: Pirate Radio in Nottingham, 1986 - 1996'

All Current Pirate Related Chat In Here
Jakeburnside1

New Pirate Radio book - 'Loud, Proud and Illegal: Pirate Radio in Nottingham, 1986 - 1996'

Post by Jakeburnside1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Having recently resigned as joint founding director of two commercial radio stations over the last fifteen years or so, I found myself with a bit more time on my hands...and so I've finally finished the book I've been working on. As you'll probably be aware, there are loads of books about pirate radio in the 60's and rightly so; there are even quite a few about pirate radio in London from later times.

But there aren't many books about pirate radio from the late 80s - early 90s from outside London. My book 'Loud, Proud and Illegal: Pirate Radio in Nottingham, 1986 - 1996' is an attempt to try and do something about that! Following the success of the book I co-wrote with my brother Paul, 'Broadcast Brothers: On The Radio' the book kind of developed as a spin - off from there. I found I'd got too much material, too much that I considered to be of interest and of historic value, to just cast aside, and so I'm happy to present this which I think will be of interest to anyone who has even worked on a pirate station, or even a licensed outfit, outside London and at or around the time. Whereas it tells the pirate story from the perspective of one city - Nottingham - it should ring true wherever anyone 'did the business'.

It is A5 sized, 112 pages long (approx) and includes 32 B and W pictures, the majority of which have never been published. It is just 7.99GBP for the paperback which is offered with free postage and packing for a limited time and can be ordered through www.broadcastbrothers.co.uk. Similarly if you prefer you can click through the website to find the Kindle e book version via Amazon (and remember these days if you download the free app you don't even have to have a Kindle to get a Kindle version!) for just 2.99GBP albeit WITHOUT the pictures.

We've very limited numbers of the paperback available, so if you want one, you'd be advised to move fairly quickly on this as half the copies have already gone on pre-orders. Oh - and whilst I'm about it, we've still got a few copies of 'Broadcast Brothers' still available, which is a window on a world which is now rapidly disappearing. Thanks for reading - and thanks to those of you, and I know there were some, who traveled miles to visit our exhibition in Buxton Museum celebrating the 20 - year legacy of Radio Buxton, which included a mock - up of a typical pirate studio of the period including audio from Horizon Radio from the very early 90s. Eventually the best part of 10000 people came to see it during the two months it was on. If you missed it, feel free to have a look at the pics on our Facebook page, broadcastbrothers106.4. There's a fair bit about the books there as well and we'd be right chuffed if you'd give us a like or a follow or whatever, or just have a look around.

Cheers

Jake B

Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Re: New Pirate Radio book - 'Loud, Proud and Illegal: Pirate Radio in Nottingham, 1986 - 1996'

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Go on then, Broadcast Brothers was good - and from what I've seen on the Globe FM group, looks like you guys had some fun over there in the 90s!

Jakeburnside1

Re: New Pirate Radio book - 'Loud, Proud and Illegal: Pirate Radio in Nottingham, 1986 - 1996'

Post by Jakeburnside1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Great - Cheers Dave! This is a very different animal to BB in that I'm largely writing up the experiences of others who just wouldn't have gotten round to writing it down.

I joined the party after Globe had split and one half of it had morphed into Horizon, but yep, there's plenty from the Globe gang! Along with a number of tales which you might well find familiar. Cheers, S

Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:34 pm

7 quid well spent that - some good stories!

Jakeburnside1

Post by Jakeburnside1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:25 pm

Dave - thanks so much for the positive response; I must admit I had a good chuckle interviewing some of the folks here! It really was written with pleasure and that's not something I've always been able to say. And thanks also for the heads up about the wee problemette you brought to my attention - which I believe has now been resolved.

Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 am

Pleasure...

Without giving the game away - the section with the DTI enforcement fella confirmed a few theories a few of here already had.... :-)

Jakeburnside1

Post by Jakeburnside1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:52 am

Yes....the more I listened to him, the nearer my jaw got the floor. I thought that section might be 'of interest'!

Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:22 pm

I've got two weeks to spend doing nothing around a pool very soon.
I'll kindle that.

Dave
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:49 am

You'll tear through it in an afternoon mate. The names and stations might not be familiar but the circumstances will be :)

Andy Hicks
Forum User
Forum User

Post by Andy Hicks » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:58 pm

I've been a victim of circumstance before.